Saturday, June 6, 2009

SUGAR + EGGS

I love to cook. I love to watch shows about cooking. Love to read about cooking. Love to eat what I cook. I think you get it.

Since moving to England I've become hooked on the show Come Dine with Me (careful when you click on the link - you might get stuck there for a couple hours). The idea is five strangers cook for one another each night for a week + score. Simple, but with the addition of clever commentary, heavy alcohol consumption and the occasional tussle, the outcome is highly entertaining.

I've been thinking I don't really have a competitive dinner menu. I have been working through this + one happy husband later - I think I've got a winner for the dessert (or pudding as it's called here)...Homemade Meringue stuffed with whip cream + fresh berries. YUM.



My devastatingly handsome husband has been studying so very hard - took some time out to sample my creation...

Homemade Meringue Stuffed with Whip Cream + Fresh Berries
2 egg whites (make sure there are NO egg yolks or won't thicken)
1/2 cup sugar
non-stick oven paper

berry whipped cream

1 cup double cream
handful of fresh chopped berries


Heat the oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit - crack egg white into large mixing bowl - add half of the sugar - start whipping (I don't have an electric mixer - unless you want a frustratingly intense 45 min. whipping work-out - I highly recommend an electric mixer (lucky you). Whip the egg white + sugar - gradually add in the rest of the sugar. The mixture will get nice and thick (should be shiny too). You can stop mixing when the mixture sticks to the bowl when turn upside down.

Drop teaspoons of the mixture onto baking sheet with a non-stick piece of paper. The mixture should make about 12-14 meringue. Pop in the heated oven for 45 min. Turn off the oven at the end of that time + leave in the oven for another hour.

Meanwhile I whip double cream(I do this by hand - will pay with killer wrist cramps!). Cut up fresh berries - I use black berries + strawberries. Mix into whipped cream.

Take the fresh Meringue out of the oven - stuff em' + then eat em'!

No comments: